A San Diego based Construction Company is seeking an experienced Operational Distribution and Transmission Manager for its San Diego, California based operations. The Gas Distribution Manager will be responsible to manage a variety of general office activities by performing the following duties personally or through Superintendents, Office Manager, Project Managers and Office Assistant. Manager has overall accountability of field operations of AM Ortega Construction-San Diego, which includes all projects and personnel (Superintendents, Foreman, and Laborers). This position will ensure that projects are delivered safely, on-time, within budget, and exceed client customer service and quality expectations. The Gas Distribution Manager regularly interfaces with office manager and office assistant, including the Estimators and Project Managers to ensure that there is coordination between the office and field efforts. Conduct administrative support and communications tasks as required by the Lakeside Corporate Office. The Manager must have the ability to manage multiple projects. In coordination with the Director of Operations, works closely with estimators to cultivate existing accounts and initiate new account implementations. The Manager spends much of the day in an office, but does periodic site visits to the field and shop to supervise ground-keeping activities; will travel to construction sites, as needed. Some travel between Lakeside and Corona offices for weekly Sr. Staff Meetings required. The Gas Distribution Manager is often “on call” to address a variety of problems that arise during non-working hours. The safety teams do not report to this position and will remain under the Compliance Manager
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- With the assistance from CFO reports: analyze, and interpret statistical and accounting information in order to appraise operating results in terms of profitability, performance against budget, and other matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness of the organization.
- Expert understanding of unit billing to drive efficiencies and ensures invoicing issues are resolved quickly
- Develop comprehensive understanding of project strategy and commitments. Ensures safety, cost controls/savings, schedules, quality, logistics, phasing, milestones, and inspections are met.
- Ensures any Owner/city/state/federal requirements or procedures (permits, lot rental, traffic control plans, etc.) are completed to avoid project delays, ensuring client satisfaction
- Works in partnership with office project team (estimator, superintendent and foreman) to identify and address issues of constructability or lack of scope during preconstruction phase
- Builds strong relationships with each signatory union
- Assist in bid walks, bid review meetings and bid hand off meetings
- Performs walk-through on projects and holds Superintendents, Laborers and Employees responsible for safe work practices. Works closely with Compliance Manager (Safety) ensuring proper training and equipment is received.
- Detects quality problems early and provides for timely resolution.
- Understands and drives compliance to the Company QC/QA Programs
The Gas Distribution Manager carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the AM Ortega’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Competencies To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Pipeline Construction: Individual should have good working knowledge of Distribution natural gas pipe installations. Knowledge of gas standards, mapping, asbuilts, and how union contracts work
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things. Builds strong relationships with customers and employees.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed. Work as part of a team alongside owner, estimators, superintendents, and other professionals
- Leadership – Displays passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values. Self manages time extremely well.
- Safety – In partnership with the Safety team, portrays a high regard for safe work practices.
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization’s goals and values.
- Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization’s strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Develops realistic action plans.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work the full day and on time; To ensure work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan. Spends discretionary time at the office to meet deadlines.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a four-year College/University with some industry experience; or a high school graduate plus some further education training and at least 12+ years related experience in the distribution gas pipeline industry; Transmission pipeline experience is a plus. Knowledge of working with SoCal Gas and SoCal Gas standards is also a plus.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient with computers and have skills in Microsoft Office type software (i.e. Word, Schedules, Excel, Outlook Calendars and Email). High level of excel experience with reports, schedules, formula building, drop down menu creation, Unit daily tracking, work log tracking, etc.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Valid State Driving License and Clean DMV report are required