A San Diego based Construction Company is seeking an experienced Superintendent for its San Diego, California based operations. Superintendent plans, directs and coordinates all site construction activities and supervises all field personnel as required to successfully complete the project(s) on schedule and within budget. This includes maintaining the highest quality, supervising all trade and field personnel, while administering good construction safety practices with all on-site activities. Maintains the job site office and closes out projects, while working with employees that are committed to providing quality service with a high degree of accuracy and efficiency. The Superintendent is often “on call” to address a variety of problems that arise during non-working hours.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Plan and direct construction activities of the Superintendents and other staff as assigned
- Manage all project specific correspondence and documentation; including submittals, change order requests and daily field reports.
- Manage project budget, Project Timeline, Review field purchase orders and provide reporting
- Handle escalated problems with subcontractors
- Walk site to determine construction status and assure quality control. Establishing and maintaining an accurate subcontractor and supplier base.
- Coordinates and supervises all construction activities. Plan and direct construction activities of construction staff as assigned
- Preview and review bids jobs
- Directs all field personnel to achieve completion of the project on schedule, within budget, with quality workmanship that conforms to the original plans and specifications.
- Prepares and schedules manpower, daily and weekly with the assistance and input from other AMO Superintendents.
- Maintains construction schedule, identifies and solves problems. Track Projects (Refer to State of California One Call Law Government Code 4216 “know what’s below. Call 811 before you dig” pamphlet. (Obtain knowledge on USA Dig Alert, City Inspections, Traffic Control Permits, Preconstruction Meetings, Scheduling the Hand Off to the Foreman and the requirements for the First Day of Work).
- Communicates with Foreman to ensure complete understanding and requirements of project details by being current with knowledge, expectations and required project progression of work to be performed
- Orders materials and schedules inspections as necessary throughout the process.
- Promotes job site safety, encourages safe work practices and rectifies job site hazards immediately.
- Ensures all company employees and contractors are adhering to the company safety policy.
- Maintains an organized job site, including the construction office
- Respond and keep customer informed on project progression, daily.
- Check and correct Daily Time-sheets for completion and accuracy on daily bases
- Submit a schedule of work locations to SCG, daily
- Facilitate Weekly Work Progression – Project percentage of job completion
- Maintains positive relationships with customers, contractors, suppliers and other employees
- Formally communicate with Customer with written reports on an as needed basis. Complete As build’s (plans and progressions of projects) package to validate that project was built according to customer’s specifications. Copy package and deliver to Customer
- Handle escalated problems with subcontractors
- Work evenings, as needed
- Be on call for emergency customer requests, as needed
The Superintendent directly and indirectly supervises field construction employees in for assigned project or projects. Carries out supervisory and project management responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, industry best practices, and as established by any applicable laws.
Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees or vendors; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Competencies To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Pipeline Construction: Individual should have good working knowledge of Distribution natural gas pipe installations. Knowledge of gas standards, mapping, as-builts, and how union contracts work
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things. Builds strong relationships with customers and employees.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed. Work as part of a team alongside owner, estimators, superintendents, and other professionals
- Leadership – Displays passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values. Self manages time extremely well.
- Safety – In partnership with the Safety team, portrays a high regard for safe work practices.
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization’s goals and values.
- Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization’s strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Develops realistic action plans.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work the full day and on time; To ensure work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan. Spends discretionary time at the office to meet deadlines.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to 7 to 10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient with computers and have skills in Microsoft Office type software (i.e. Word, Schedules, Excel, Outlook Calendars and Email).
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Valid State Driving License and Clean DMV report are required
Physical Demands of Job
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.